Saturday, November 14, 2009

all the federales say...


well, i'm trying my hand at this blog thing. i've been here once before, but with a different angle. now i'm looking at the blog as a purist; all i'm gonna do is write.


i've been thinking about doing this for a long time, as i do with most things i do (or don't do...) and this evening i finally got around to creating it. formatted it, arranged its colors, fonts and all that jazz, but stalled on putting up a post. it was enough for the moment to have it there to visit and blog about on. the original intention of this blog was to accomodate me every time i heard some asanine, ridiculous thing on the news that infuriated or compelled me. i will have an outlet, i thought, and here we are.


now i know why my typing fingers weren't into it earlier. why my guardian angel told me to take a break--the template is enough. it's because now--right this moment--is the time. i need to start this blogging with something that brings joy and a smile, not frustration and anger.


what i need to think about is how wonderful it is to have great friends. i have trouble seeing things, sometimes, for what they really are. for whatever reason, sometimes i miss what's right in front of me or misinterpret what's going on in front of my face. most times without even thinking about it. for instance, i have this wonderful colleague named amy who is always so nice to me, and we laugh together a lot. somehow i let myself stop at accepting her as a great coworker and a great aquaintance i might see occasionally outside of work and that i'll get along with really well. seems good enough, right?


well, this gal just sent me a text to let me know willie nelson is on austin city limits.


see, she remembered from WEEKS ago that i mentioned willie nelson and posted on facebook that i was going to see him/had seen him. i LOVE willie nelson. it was a simple text, for goodness sake, but it reminds me that i need to put down my guard and remember that it's alright to let people in as friends and take them as such. i often find myself thinking this person doesn't need me as a friend. they've already got their friends, why add me? why do i do this?! i have no idea, but i keep learning that i'm WRONG. i mean, i know i've got friends, but i guess i don't acknowledge how close they can be, and are. i'm so happy to have her as a buddy--and appreciate that she remembered that, let me know to tune in, and will surely chat me about it monday morning!


did i mention i LOVE willie nelson? his voice makes me smile, and the twinkle in his eye makes me wish i could have a beer with him and listen to stories he would tell. i have always loved his voice and am looking at him on television four weeks and one day after having seen him from 50 feet away, watching him play the same ancient guitar now in austin that he played at the performing arts center on october 16th just in front of me. i could close my eyes and be in the basement of the house i grew up in, after dinner dancing around the family room on my dad's feet. my brother and sister and i would laugh and sing and dance along to a very vinyl willie nelson. always on my mind, poncho & lefty, on the road again, and momma don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys. i've been listening to willie nelson for about 28 years. it doesn't matter how much age ends up in that voice or on that face, the twinkle in those eyes and the feeling it brings me will never change. it will grow and get added to, but i'll still have those original willie nelson memories. and they will make me smile every time.


so, thank you amy! can't wait to talk about it monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment